I’ve been entertaining an interesting thought for the past few days; Sell HTNet (the complete blog and domain name) and start a fresh new blog.
It’s interesting because HTNet is very much close to my heart and it has been providing me with a lot of education in terms of blogging in general, as well as its own distinct sentimental value.
I’m sure a huge majority of those who have multiple blogs have similar thoughts when it comes to their first blog. Maybe the feeling is similar to what you feel about your first girlfriend/boyfriend. The relationship might not last as long as you’d like, but the person will always occupy that portion of your heart.
So what’s the benefit of selling your established blog? Well, here’s my list:
- Money (of course)
- Clearing the baggage of maintaining it
- Freeing up more time for other projects
- The opportunity to start afresh with lessons learned from the exercise
- Disassociation with the identity closely tied to the blog
Of course there’re also disadvantages:
- Loss of income from the blog
- You might regret selling it off in the first place
- You undervalued the selling price and pined about it for the rest of your life
- The new owner totally overhauled the blog and it embarrasses you to be associated with its new content
It also makes me wonder, if I were to really follow up on this thought; would you consider buying HTNet off me? If you answered “no”, please tell me why.
If you answered “yes”, I’d also like to know why. And what sort of price are you willing to pay?