What’s a minimalist? According to dictionary.com:
- a person who favors a moderate approach to the achievement of a set of goals or who holds minimal expectations for the success of a program.
- a practitioner of minimalism in music or art.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of minimalism.
- being or offering no more than what is required or essential: a minimalist program for tax reform.
I consider myself a minimalist because I believe that the only requirements in life are the essentials. Any additional “stuff” are either luxuries or unnecessary excesses.
Let’s take my house for example; specifically the living hall. This is the activity area of my abode. Currently it has the following items:
- A set of sofas; one two-seater, one three-seater and a leg-rest cum cushioned stool
- An entertainment console which holds my TV and Astro decoder. It also has two drawers where I stash some magazines and my son’s drawing block and drawing tools
- Minimal decorative paraphernalia
Don’t believe me? Below is a picture:
Mind you, some of the “stuff” in there are added by my SO or contributed by my mother. Nevertheless, I still think that it’s still within my minimalist inclinations.
The next area I’m planning to work on is my soon-to-be home office. It’s the smallest room in the house and is currently being used as a store room of sorts. Personally, I’m looking forward to the challenges of transforming it into practical study/office hybrid.
How about you? What’s your interior design preferences? Care to share pictures of the favourite area of your home?