First thing’s first; it works! The next most important thing; it was a very painless process. The steps are pretty easy especially if you’ve upgraded WP before. Essentially the steps are as follows:
- Disable all installed plugins
- Grab the latest WordPress build; extract the contents; replace the older files on your server (or you can do this painlessly via SSH)
- Run the upgrade script (usually at
http://yourwebsite/wp-admin/upgrade.php) and wait for a couple of seconds or minutes; depending on the size of your current database
- Login to the wp-admin page and reactivate your plugins one by one; make sure you open another tab to preview your blog while doing this, just to see if there are any complications
- If everything goes well, it’s time to celebrate!
Please note that there’s a new configuration called
SECRET_KEY in WP 2.5’s
wp-config.php file. Just set it to some random string as shown below:
define('SECRET_KEY', 'lkjdfhU(H*H8h9uHF8U767f65df56t&^t^&th(jhYT6FYHBUIy*b*u3R'); // Change this to a unique phrase.
The secret key should include upper and lowercase letters, numbers and symbols. After that you need to re-login to the admin panel.